Factories are never brought to life for no reason. This is especially true for factories like Votkinsky zavod with its 255 years’ record of faithfully and dedicated service to the Fatherland. Votkinsky zavod was brought to life by clear logic of growth and rise of the Russian Empire in the XVII century.
Votkinsky zavod was founded at the initiative of count Pyotr Ivanovich Shuvalov who knew the economic situation of that time perfectly well: domestic and foreign demand for cast iron, iron and steel has been booming. In May 1754, Empress Elizaveta Petrovna granted, by her ordinance, the Goroblagodatsky group of factories to a «reliable person», «adjutant general, actual chamberlain, second lieutenant of Life Guards’ company and chevallier, count Pyotr Ivanovich Shuvalov». There were two conditions to this deal: the Count Shuvalov had to return the cost of factories to the Russian Treasury within 10 years and double the iron production within 5 years. In 1757 Shuvalov founded the Serebryansky factory. And in 1758, prime-major Aleksey Stepanovich Moskvin, who built Serebryansky factory, with a hundred workmen from Goroblagodatsky factories came to the Votka river. The site to build a new factory was wisely selected: full-flowing Kama river would help bring cast iron into the factory and bring iron and steel out.
Construction of factory could not be started until the biggest earth dam in the Urals would be ready.
Votkinsky zavod, along with the dam, was built within one year. This titanic labor was completed by just about 100 workmen and one thousand and five hundred bond peasants managed by Alexey Moskvin. In the middle of dense forest and uninhabited hills where 3 rivers came together — Votka, Sharkanka and Berezovka, emerged a beautiful man-made lake and a small factory with residential community next to it.